Friday 17 April 2015

Three Nights In Tokyo.

Where do I even being to explain Tokyo, it's simply a huge city with so much going on. The first thing I visually noticed was architecturally how the city has been built and put together, it's all completely random. Not even a slight suggestion of order at all for the most part which in all honestly I didn't expect at all. I was under the impression that Tokyo would be and look like the city of the future but I was massively mistaken. In my eyes it is a large city with so much diversity and choice, you can find virtually just about everything here but finding it might be difficult. This leads me on to talk about the subway system.

Now if you don't already know this, I'm from a little city in England called York and we don't have a subway! I'm so thankful that I have been traveling with friends because when it comes to public transport in foreign countries I'm absolutely useless. Luckily the Japanese are on a whole really lovely, kind hearted people that if you do happen to need help they will point you in the right direction. Don't be shy to ask, I know it seems daugnting with the language barriers and such but trust me it's much easier than trying to work it out by yourself. The subway is the cheapest and most convinient way to work your way around the city and I used it numerouse times in my visit. 

As a 22 year old that teaches skiing/snowbording for a living as you can probably imagine, I'm hardly rolling in cash and therefor when it comes to accommodation I'm always looking for a good deal. Two of the most helpful sites when searching for a place to stay we're hostel world, booking.com and air B&B. If your on a budget they are a great place to find cheap rooms for a reasonable price. In all honesty, the only time I was in my accommodation was to sleep. You are going to be so busy exploring the city that by the time you do get back you will no doubt crash out as soon as your head hits the pillow (that's what happened in my case).

What did a do and see you ask? Well shibuya crossing was one of the first destinations I discovered and my goodness, what a place! Im going to put this as simply as I possibly can. People are everywhere, just everywhere! It's simply insane. I could have quite happily sat and watched the crossing for hours on end if I had the time. Im really glad I got to see it for myself, it's one of those tourist attractions that will never get old or out of fashion because it will never change. After seeing the crossing we roamed around the bustling streets for a while and had a few drinks in variouse bars. It's just a cool place with lots of shops, restaurants, bars and more. A must if you get the chance to visit the area. 

I have always wanted to see a sumo wrestling match and I got lucky as a special event at Yasukuni shrine was happening during our visit. We walked from the station to the shrine through a park which was covered in small street food huts. You can get all sorts from scewers of chicken and beef, fish on sticks and traditional Japanese food such as ramen, sushi, tempura and more. When we arrived we discovered that the match would take place outside and we quickly found a great spot sat down on the floor with the perfect view. In all hoesnt I wasn't completely sure what was happening in the beginning, some form of blessing/ prayers before the event began. All of a sudden not just a couple but around twenty sumo wrestlers turn up to the ring and start practicing. It was a surreal experience, they are unbelievably strong. Practice went on for an hour or so and then the real fighting commenced. I would highly reccomed a visit to a sumo wrestling match. It's interesting, traditional and authentic plus when else will you ever get the chances!

During my three day trip I also visited Harajuka, Meiji shrine, Roppongi hills, Tokyo Metropolitan Goverment Building, Sensoji Temple, Nakamise, Ueno park, Shinjuku and Miraikan museum. It's fair to say I have only covered a small portion of this incredible city but I highly reccomed a visit. Tokyo is a city I wouldn't compare to anywhere else in the world therefor if you have e opportunity to see it for yourself you should totally do it, it won't disappoint. 






No comments:

Post a Comment