Thursday 23 April 2015

My Thoughts On University

I'm young, working a job I love, traveling the world with virtually no strings attached. I have everything exactly where I always wanted it but I do sometimes worry. I'm not your average cliché 22 year old though, not even close. I have never had the desire to go to university. It's become the done thing. Leave secondary school, go to college, go to university, get a degree and eventually go find yourself a job you will be settled in for the rest of your life. Now please enlighten me, where exactly is the fun in all of that? 

As ignorant as I sound I'm just trying to get across my point and I don't think university is bad for everyone, it just wasn't right for me. My experience with being introduced to the whole process wasn't that pleasant and played a huge role in why I'm so opinionated about the subject. It's rare for people in their early twenties to know what they want to do as a career for the rest of their life yet we are pushed into making the decision so early. We're young, the last thing we want on our plate is that huge commitment to education. Many of friends will be graduating this year and I couldn't be more thrilled but I'm now intrigued more than ever as to where they are all going to end up. 

Over the last three years while they have all been studying I have lived and worked in Canada, Dubai and Japan. What's so great about that you ask? How has that created better opportunities? Well, in my eyes I have learnt a lot more about myself, other cultures and made connections within the ski industry that I would never have been able to do if I didn't branch out and see the world. 

So this is my proposal to any of you that are still reading. Take a gap year, work abroad, go backpacking, meet new people and see new places. I promise, you wont be disappointed. A gap year gives you time to think about what it is you really want to do with the rest of your life. Don't ever feel pressured into doing something your not sure about, instead take a step back and make the decision independently. Seeing how other people from different backgrounds live may just help you figure out how you want to live your life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment